We can do this with the preload resource hint: Preload is a declarative fetch, allowing you to force the browser to make a request for a resource without blocking the document’s onload event. First of all, Google Fonts could already be cached on your visitor’s computer from going to a different web page. These are webmentions via the IndieWeb and webmention.io. The subfont npm package will do this in addition to dynamically subsetting your fonts at build. In the current iteration of next/head , we can't make use of the familiar "media hack" method of asynchronous Google font loading: Meanwhile, linear, straight fonts would look interesting next to haute cuisine. As an alternative to serving up fonts from Google’s server, you can also host fonts locally, which might offer performance benefits. Using Easy Google Fonts. But I’m not 100% sure on this. Unzip them, and place them in your project in the appropriate location. Google Fonts are delivered from their super fast CDNs and it might have already been cached in the browser, right?! In some of my tests for our company website, I noticed smaller font file sizes for some fonts hosted by Google. For example, Open Sans supports many more charsets than Muli: Your final choice is which browsers you want to support. There’s even a subfont plugin for it. Preloading a Google font turns out to be a great idea, Harry found out that the first web font load was 600ms faster than usual. Get more done with the new Google Chrome. Also do I need to include “&display=swap” to it? Pair & Compare is a web application that lets you find the best fonts and font-pairings for your next project easily and smoothly. code Developer API Create dynamic apps by querying Google Fonts to get an accurate list of the families currently available. Their data centers might … The Most Used Google Fonts on Restaurant Websites # Font Name … It is an amazing tool for giving us font files and font-face declarations based on the fonts, charsets, styles, and browser support you select. ️. With Subfont, Peter automated the whole process. We use AWS S3 plus Cloudfront, the CDN service offered by Amazon, but many options exist. While first paint either remained the same or got slower, first contentful paint either remained the same or got faster, and in the case of CSS Wizardry, first web font was a staggering 600ms faster than the previous iteration. In addition, very popular fonts like Open Sans and Roboto are likely to exist in your users’ cache. If you open the $CSS URL above you’ll notice that the fonts are loaded from the origin that looks like https://fonts.gstatic.com — we can preconnect to this origin. Finally, download your files. I didn't know how to eliminate this render blocking to fast loading. Load Faster Fonts. How would this work with wp rocket installed on generatepress/oceanwp theme? A more simple, secure, and faster web browser than ever, with Google’s smarts built-in. Great typography makes the web more beautiful, fast, and open. Now it’s faster. Let’s take a look at the performance before and after. Type in the search box for a filtered list (red arrow), then click on your font (blue arrow): Next, select your character sets and styles. We choose to put this at the top of our variables partial when using SCSS. Stack Overflow 6. Making Google Fonts Fast# Let’s make Google fonts load faster by following Harry’s findings. Github next-google-fonts is a super tiny helper for loading Google Fonts fast and asynchronously in Next.js. In the link declaration I see this tag “$CSS&display=swap”. Pair fonts … Let’s say I selected the Montserrat font with 400 and 700 weight for both regular and italic font styles. Many sites that I build use Google Fonts, which are already kind of fast and with the introduction of font-display: swap it’s become asynchronous in nature. So we recommend doing your own … Using webpagetest.org in easy mode (Moto G4, Chrome, slow 3G), our speed index was 4.147s using only preconnect, and 3.388s using self-hosting plus preload. Google provides, as part of its numerous services, a tool called Google Fonts, … I don’t see this in the provided snippet. Delivered to your inbox a couple of times every year. But if you follow Harry Roberts who’s a literal CSS Wizard, his experiments and research led to making Google Fonts even faster by ~20% to ~30%. ⚠️ While asynchronous CSS is an overall good idea we need to make the CSS loading a high priority. For strongly branded content, you may want to keep a FOIT over showing off-brand fonts. Not all of these are used by default, thankfully. For instances where a user has intentionally disabled JavaScript in their browser, we can use the